jueves, 14 de julio de 2016

Simple future

Uses

USE 1 "Will" to Express a Voluntary Action
"Will" often suggests that a speaker will do something voluntarily. A voluntary action is one the speaker offers to do for someone else. Often, we use "will" to respond to someone else's complaint or request for help. We also use "will" when we request that someone help us or volunteer to do something for us. Similarly, we use "will not" or "won't" when we refuse to voluntarily do something.

Examples:
I will send you the information when I get it.
I will translate the email, so Mr. Smith can read it.
Will you help me move this heavy table?
Will you make dinner?
I will not do your homework for you.
I won't do all the housework myself!
A: I'm really hungry.
B: I'll make some sandwiches.
A: I'm so tired. I'm about to fall asleep.
B: I'll get you some coffee.
A: The phone is ringing.
B: I'll get it
.
USE 2 "Will" to Express a Promise
"Will" is usually used in promises.

Examples:
I will call you when I arrive.
If I am elected President of the United States, I will make sure everyone has access to inexpensive health insurance.
I promise I will not tell him about the surprise party.
Don't worry, I'll be careful.
I won't tell anyone your secret.

Structure

Time expressions


Examples

Future actions or future states (not plans):

They will dance all night long.

Next month he will be ten years old.

How old will he be next month?

It will be very cold in the winter.

This winter will not be so cold.

I hope you will have a successful trip.

I hope you will not be disappointed.

He won't be late again.

What time will he arrive?

She will be very happy when she finds out.


We will eat in ten minutes.

You will see him in a minute.

I believe it will be a very nice party.


Promises or intentions:

will always help you.

We will win this match!

will drop by later.

Will you come with us?

We will stay for dinner.

won't give up.

will do it tomorrow.
will fix the car as soon as I can.

We won't tell anyone about it.

Exercises ( to do the exercises press on the links)





*Shall

"Shall" is used to indicate future action. It is most commonly used in sentences with "I" or "we," and is often found in suggestions, such as "Shall we go?" "Shall" is also frequently used in promises or voluntary actions. In formal English, the use of "shall" to describe future events often expresses inevitability or predestination. "Shall" is much more commonly heard in British English than in American English; Americans prefer to use other forms, although they do sometimes use "shall" in suggestions or formalized language.
Examples:

  • Shall I help you? suggestion
  • shall never forget where I came from. promise
  • He shall become our next king. predestination
  • I'm afraid Mr. Smith shall become our new director. inevitability

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario